Re: Location of declarations in Linux vs FreeBSD, etc.

Harlan Stenn <stenn@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Because different OSes need slightly different tweaks to daemonize and
> it can be a *serious* PITA to track them all.  If an OS family provides
> me with a way to do this then sometimes I am very happy to take
> advantage of this fact and save myself from a large learning curve that
> must accomodate different versions of said OS family.

Besides, using widely available functions like daemon whenever possible
makes it easier to read the code and understand what's going on.  If I see
an invocation of daemon in someone's source, I run man daemon and get
detailed information on exactly what it does, way more detailed than
people are usually able/willing to write for internal functions.

--
Russ Allbery (rra@xxxxxxxxxxxx)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>