How to specify linker

Hi
   We can specify cross-compiler by setting the variable CC. How can we specify other cross tools like linker, assembler, ldd, strip etc to configure script?
Where should we specify CC, before configure or after configure?
(I mean CC=crosscompiler ./configure     OR  ./configure CC=crosscompiler)

thanks
shamju joseph