Re: Solving the config.h nightmare ?

Daniel Reed <n@xxxxxx> writes:

> Not if the API has been abstracted adequately. Data types that are used
> internally should never *need* to be used as part of the API, and hence
> their changing definitions between library build time and dependent
> software build time should not affect ABI in any way.

I prefer to use standard C types like uint32_t and bool in my APIs where
appropriate rather than hobble and uglify my API to avoid using standard
types that a small handful of systems don't have.  I'd rather include a
bit of Autoconf-generated magic to fix broken systems and keep the
mainstream code more readable and standard, provided it can be done
safely.  Which it can if you're careful.

--
Russ Allbery (rra@xxxxxxxxxxxx)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>