Re: Changing PACKAGE_BUGREPORT?

* Bob Proulx wrote on Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 07:23:50AM CEST:
> Stepan Kasal wrote:
>
> > Let me give an example: how would you feel if Fedora modifies the package
> > so that it tells the users to report to bugzilla.redhat.com?
> > Sure such a step of Fedora would induce negative feelings.
>
> It depends on how it is handled.  On Debian systems if you run
> "reportbug coreutils" for example it would send the bug report to the
> Debian bug tracking system.  One of the jobs of the maintainer is to
> forward bugs as appropriate upstream.  This sending of bug reports
> into the Debian BTS has not induced any negative feelings that I can
> determine.  I think most distros have their own bug tracking.

Not every distro forwards bug reports upstream smoothly.
I've been frustrated by that.

> I think one of the important points in the discussion not yet
> mentioned is that free software is built by people who volunteer their
> time.

Yes.  Forwarding a bug report to, say, the Cygwin maintainer of a
package, is easy.  Subscribing to several distribution specific bug
tracking systems in order to catch bugs is much more work.  But maybe
everyone else doesn't have this problem.

Cheers,
Ralf