Re: Storing intermediate object files

this works admirably.
Thanks a lot.
++
Jul.

Hi Julien,

* Jul wrote on Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 10:29:00AM CEST:

Hi,
I'm a real beginner with autoconf/automake and I'm trying to configure a C project structured into multiple directories.
For each directory containing C files, I wonder if there is a way to store the intermediate object files (*.o) into a separate 'objects' subdirectory.

The usual way to do is a little different, but has IMHO advantages: You use a build tree separate from the source tree. Assuming your package is named foobar, and a source layout like this:

foobar/
configure.ac
Makefile.am
foo.c
bar.c

Create a separate build dir and build there:

$ mkdir build
$ cd build
$ ../foobar/configure [options]
$ make

This has the advantage that you can have many build trees as you want
(for different compile options, different systems with source on NFS,
whatever).

Regards,
Ralf

Julien VIENNE