Re: Fwd: Re: [Mingw-users] Autoconf MSYS_PREFIX_HACK

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Keith Marshall wrote:

Well, if by the "Bourne shell" you mean MSYS' Bourne shell, (which is actually `bash' masquerading as `sh'), I think you are mistaken. I *never* specify paths with backslashes, when using this shell, even to invoke native Win32 programs, and I have not had any problem as a result. Indeed, it is *only* if I try to use *backslashes* -- to show someone else how *bad* they are -- that I have ever experienced a problem.

Good for you!

The Windows operating system uses backslash as its native directory separator. When building native Windows applications (e.g. using MinGW) it seems most useful to embed path information which is compatible with the operating system.

Bob