Re: RFE: configure -> dependency list on exit.

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Stepan Kasal wrote:

Hello,

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 10:25:00AM -0800, Paul Eggert wrote:
Stepan Kasal <kasal@xxxxxx> writes:
I wanted to say:
"I suggest you to install package foo, which can be grabbed from foo.org,
in order to proceed with this build."

Ouch. That's not how I interpreted your output. Perhaps we should rethink the output format.

definitely. That's part of the work I hope Hugh will do for us. ;-)

Yes, I'll do what I can but now I'm rather confused as to what has reached concensus. My needs are met by any scheme which (a) can express dependencies, which AS_IF already can do, and (b) allows messages at the end. So it's really just (b) and documenting its use with AS_IF. For (b) we have proposals for priority, which has been proposed to a Signed quantity, so that messages can be ordered, and now a list of priorities, which I don't fully understand. We also have proposals about AC_MSG_ERROR and AC_NONFATAL to affect where configure creates a config.status message. I think I'll need to document which variables are to be included in such code, even if the code is written after. The manual is for developers, after all.

For anything I write to be accepted it should fit with these
proposals because of your experiential knowledge.

Is there anything else that naturally falls into this area that I
shuld consider?  I've not had chance to read the docs yet, thus I'm
not so close to producing something that changes would be a problem
:-)

        Hugh