Re: using AC_CHECK_LIB across different libc versions

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Noah Misch wrote:

For now, your solution seems reasonable. That a star Autoconf macro does not work for C++, despite documentation to the contrary, speaks to the popularity of libraries of C++ functions among free software developers.

It seems that I gave bad advice since use of C bindings is enforced in AC_CHECK_LIB.

I think what may actually be illustrated is that very few properly written C++ libraries expose their functionality as traditional functions. Most C++ libraries are object-oriented or template-based.

Bob