Re: Use of config.h: summary of responses.

Dale Mellor <dale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> For the record...
>
>    I recieved about half a dozen responses to this and the overriding
> message is: config.h is worse than useless for packages which install
> libraries and public header files, so don't use it

I think this need to be qualified more, by adding: "in the public
header file".  Using config.h inside the library source code is
useful.

IMHO, the best would be if we could get rid of config.h and '#if
HAVE_*' pollution, so that all source code is written in plain C99 and
POSIX, and then fix whatever broken systems there are out there by way
of a "behind the back" gnulib approach.  It is so nice to be able to
do "cc -o foo *.c" and have things work with a minimum of fuss.  This
is also almost required in order to be able to use various source code
security analysis tools, or even things like Cyclone.

Thanks,
Simon