Re: glibc update, missing /sbin/ldconfig requirement

Jack Neely <jjneely@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 09:35:53AM -0400, James Antill wrote:
>> Jack Neely <jjneely@xxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>> > Folks,
>> >
>> > Red Hat recently released a new glibc version for RHEL 5.  My i386
>> > machines have updated normally, but all of my x86_64 machines will not
>> > update.  We are running glibc 2.5-81.el5_8.2 and trying to upgrade to
>> > 2.5-81.el5_8.4 and Yum complains that it cannot find /sbin/ldconfig for
>> > all of the packages that require it.
>> >
>> > Here is the Yum error log:
>> >
>> >     http://www4.ncsu.edu/~jjneely/yum.out
>> >
>> > A yum -d5 update glibc log is here:
>> >
>> >     http://www4.ncsu.edu/~jjneely/yum.out.xz
>> >
>> > I don't see anything wrong with the new glibc packages.  rpmdiff shows
>> > that there aren't many changes.  This is the RHEL 5 version of yum
>> > (yum-3.2.22-39.el5).  Any insights as to what has gone wrong?
>>
>>  All the above data makes it look like yum thinks the new glibc
>> package aren't providing a lot of the filedeps that previous versions
>> were.
>>
>>  What does "repoquery -ql glibc-2.5-81.el5_8.4" say?
>
> It looks pretty normal.  /sbin/ldconfig included.  I did use --plugins
> to enable RHN.
>
>     http://www4.ncsu.edu/~jjneely/repoquery.out

 Not sure then, as the data in the first directly contradicts this. If
both operations are repeatable, I guess you'll have to start adding
print statements to find out WTF is going on.

 I'd try excluding all the other versions of glibc, to cut down on the
noise and then find out what is happening when the depsolver looks for
/sbin/ldconfig (and just before that, when it should check that it
exists in the upgrade).

--
James Antill -- james@xxxxxxx