Using Basic HTTP authentication with a port other than 80

I've run into an issue configuring a Yum repository which I'm serving up with HTTP/Apache.

I want to use http basic authentication, and set the listening port on my apache server to something other than 80, because this repo is in my DMZ.  I was trying to do that by setting up my baseurl as follows (from my client repo file):

baseurl=http://user:password@<my-ip>:<my-non-80-port>/yum/RHEL/7/base/$basearch/

The documentation for yum.conf indicates you can do basic http authentication by adding the username/password to the URL as I did above.  However, with that baseurl, I get the following error when I do a “yum search mysql” from the client:

[Errno 14] HTTP Error 401: Authorization Required

When I set the listening port on the server back to 80, and remove the port specification in the client’s repo file, it works.  This indicates to me that the extra ":" specifying the port confuses yum’s parsing of my URL.

So it appears you cannot do basic http authentication AND change the port number that the web server listens on.  I noticed that there are “username” and “password” directives in newer versions of Yum, but my version doesn't appear to have these directives (I am running yum-3.2.22-37.0.1.el5, and I just noticed those two directives first appear in 3.2.29).

Is there any workaround for this in older versions of yum?

Thanks.