Re: repo/sitory meaning?

On Sat, 2011-04-23 at 09:11 +1200, Morgan Read wrote:
> Hello List
>
> What is the difference in meaning between "Repo" and "Repository" in the
> following:
>

> [vortexbox.localdomain ~]# yum info libfaac0.i686
> Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
> Adding en_NZ to language list
> updates/metalink                                         | 2.6 kB
> 00:00
> vortexbox                                                | 3.2 kB
> 00:00
> Installed Packages
> Name        : libfaac0
> Arch        : i686
> Version     : 1.28
> Release     : 6.fc14
> Size        : 67 k
> Repo        : installed
> Summary     : Shared libraries for package faac
> URL         : http://www.audiocoding.com/
> License     : LGPL
> Description : This package provides the shared libraries libfaac.so.0*
> for the
>             : package faac. Shared libraries are required at runtime for
>             : software built against faac. Keeping shared libraries in a
>             : separate package enables their use as forward/backward
>             : compatibility packages.
>
> [vortexbox.localdomain ~]# repoquery -i libfaac0.i686
>
> Name        : libfaac0
> Version     : 1.28
> Release     : 6.fc14
> Architecture: i686
> Size        : 69096
> Packager    : ATrpms <http://ATrpms.net/>
> Group       : System Environment/Libraries
> URL         : http://www.audiocoding.com/
> Repository  : atrpms
> Summary     : Shared libraries for package faac
> Description :
> This package provides the shared libraries libfaac.so.0* for the package
> faac.
> Shared libraries are required at runtime for software built against faac.
> Keeping shared libraries in a separate package enables their use as
> forward/backward compatibility packages.
> [vortexbox.localdomain ~]#

nothing at all. The two tools don't use the same routine to output that
info and one says Repo the other Repository.

> And lastly for completeness, is there a key to the last column produced
> by yum list?  E.g. what's the meaning of the "@" symbol and "installed"
> with reference to repositories?

yes - prior to yum 3.2.23 we didn't have a place to store from which
repo any pkg was installed. Now we do.

so if a pkg is marked as 'installed' then it is either installed with a
yum preceding that version or not installed by yum.

the @name means from which repo the installed pkg came from.

-sv