Re: Migrate from CentOS 5.5 to SL5.5

Larry Vaden wrote:

The problem as I understand it with SL6 et al is that our rural server
room is full of single-purpose-built Compaq RAID-based machines
(cpqarray) and as I understand it, support is ending for those with the
sunset of 5 :(

I do not understand what you meant by this. Support for RHEL/CentOS/SL 5.x will be until 2014 if I am not mistaken, 7 years after the launch of 5.0. And you can use KVM (if you are on x86_64) or VirtualBox/VMWare and install CentOS/SL 6 inside virtual machines.

YES, you are correct about that.  I believe there's something lurking
beyond my current ability to get my head around the rpm database issues
involved in Karanbir's comments, namely:

"All that you should need to do is install centos-release, remove
redhat-release rpms and just yum update the machine, which should
bring in all packages changed by CentOS ( since they will have a
slightly higher E-V-R )."

Nor CentOS nor SL are exact clones of the RHEL. They strive to be 100% BINARY compatible, so any product will behave EXACTLY like it is on RHEL. But that does not mean that everything is exactly like RHEL.

xxxx-release is dependancy for core packages, so you have to have one of them.

FOR move to CentOS: When you change yum repo URL's and install centos-release, you will also install few other packages that are different then on RHEL system. Next you remove redhat-release so there are no colisions, and system will officially become CentOS. When you upgrade, it will replace RHEL specific packages with CentOS specific. FOR move to SL: instead of centos-release, you will install something like scientific-release or similar name, remove xxx-release from previous system designation and update.

Since this list is about YUM, not CentOS, please either mail me off the list or ask questions on CentOS or SL user mailing lists.

Thank you.