Re: "yum -yq --security check-update" spouting lots of text?

David Burns <tdbtdb@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> # yum -q --security check-update 2>/dev/null
>
> aalib.x86_64
> 1.4.0-5.el5.rf
> rpmforge
> blas.x86_64
> 3.1.1-1.el5.rf
> [bla bla bla]
>
> I have this running in a cron job on several machines running centos 5.5.

 It's probably worth noting that --security has no data to work from
on CentOS, currently. Although EPEL does produce it, it's currently
broken (has epoch=None) and the version of yum in CentOS doesn't work
around the bug.

> Only on this one machine does this command spam me with this useless output.
> I thought at first it might be a new buggy version of yum-security, but the
> same versions are running on my other machines where the command works
> correctly.
>
> # rpm -qa|grep -i yum
> yum-updatesd-0.9-2.el5
> yum-security-1.1.16-14.el5.centos.1
> yum-metadata-parser-1.1.2-3.el5.centos
> yum-fastestmirror-1.1.16-14.el5.centos.1
> yum-3.2.22-26.el5.centos
> yum-priorities-1.1.16-14.el5.centos.1
>
> Somehow the configuration has become corrupt? It seems to have to do with
> the rpmforge repo, when I disable that one everything works properly:
>
> # yum -q --disablerepo=rpmforge --security check-update 2>/dev/null
> #
>
> I'd love to point the finger at a bug in yum-security or the config of the
> rpmforge repo, but both of these are present (same version) and working fine
> on all my machines except this one.

 Interesting, while I generally don't recommend/use rpmforge ... I'm
not sure how it is affecting yum-security in this way.

> Okay, something was definitely corrupt in my rpmforge repo config. I
> uninstalled rpmforge and then reinstalled it, and the problem went away.

 Weird. Maybe they produced some test updateinfo data (all the
packages are .rf), and you did the equivalent of
"yum clean expire-cache" ?

--
James Antill -- james@xxxxxxx