Re: dependency problems with yum-priorities on CentOS 5.5

On 23/08/10 13:05, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> All you experienced is exactly how it is supposed to be.
>
> Yum-priorities does the following:
> ALLWAYS use version of package from repo with lesser priority number.
> For all OTHER packages, use version of package with lesser priority number.
>
> I use it like this:
> Priority plugin is active always. If I hit dependency problem like you
> did, there are two things you can do:
> a) do not install package with unresolved dependency
>
> b) run install with "--disableplugin=*prior*" and IGNORE that external
> repo will mess with your system, replacing packages yum-priorities is
> installed to protect.
>
> For smaller insignificant packages I would select
> b), but very carefully.

Thanks.

My main point is that I don't have any way of knowing there *is* a dependency
problem until it is too late and "yum update" has installed half of the updates
and aborted on the bad one.

If yum told me before it started, I could then opt for a) or b) as you say, and
I'd not be so uneasy about yum-priorities.  I don't understand why it couldn't,
as it seems to have access to all the dependency information it needs to find
out. In fact, I can see no way of finding out in advance, besides running the
update on an identical, sacrificial server.