Yum fails when postfix is running

I've come across an issue I don't know how to deal with and I cannot find any answers anywhere!

I'm getting the following error when I try to run yum, but only when postfix is running:

There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

   No module named rpmUtils

Please install a package which provides this module, or
verify that the module is installed correctly.

It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
current version of Python, which is:
2.4.3 (#1, Sep  3 2009, 15:37:37)
[GCC 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-46)]

If you cannot solve this problem yourself, please go to
the yum faq at:
  http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq

As soon as I stop Postfix, yum works again perfectly. I'm really not sure why it's causing this or what to do. I did compile and install postfix 2.7-1 myself; I skipped over the version in the CentOS repository.