Re: Feature request ... or How to.

On 5/3/2010 12:02 PM, James Antill wrote:
Dave Pawson<dave.pawson@xxxxxxxxx>  writes:

Scenario.
   Fedora 13 is about to hit the streets.
My goal this time is to change to the 64bit version, hence I need a
clean install.
I have lots of extra software installed. Mainly through yum some via rpm's.

How can I obtain a list of programs installed since time X, in this case
since my OS was last installed? Is that possible please?

The objective being to give yum the job of install 'this long list of programs'
once the new OS is installed and running.

Any suggestions please?

Could I take a snapshot as a baseline when I first install FCX.
Then compare with the list of what is currently installed?

  What I'd do is:

1. yum-debug-dump (current-i386 system)

2. reinstall

3. yum-debug-restore --ignore-arch<file-from-above>

...of course if you don't want to do #2, that doesn't really work (and
I don't know any _good_ options).

I've always thought this was a serious omission in all of the package managers and that it would be really useful to be able to take any arbitrary machine that might have been carefully tuned for a specific purpose and 'publish' its package list. Then anyone else who wanted a similar setup could tell his package manager to duplicate it without having to repeat the work of researching and choosing the package list. It would be even better if you could 'subscribe' to a published list and track the exact versions installed on the master copy so you wouldn't do updates until you knew someone had tested the new version combinations already.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx