Re: basic question? - yum update security

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010, Peter Glassenbury (CSSE) wrote:

I am running a fedora 12 department of many machines.
We don't update everything daily in case some of the local stuff
breaks with a general fedora yum update.

We would, however, like to rollout the security patches.

Can someone tell me is there a "yum update securitypatches" style
command or is it a "run yum one by one" system that we should run
on each package we get a security notification for.

I ask this because it was noticed locally that the Gnome
interface to PackageKit seemed to know which packages were security
updates and which were just general updates so the knowledge is
obtainable automatically by some programs. Is that information available
to yum(our preferred method of deployment)?

yum install yum-plugin-security

and for repos created by either rhn or fedora's bodhi will have access to additional metadata that you can access with this plugin:

http://magazine.redhat.com/2008/01/16/tips-and-tricks-yum-security/

-sv