Re: yum fails to install most up to date version

Jim Perrin wrote:
On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 6:09 AM, Maria Alandes Pradillo
<Maria.Alandes.Pradillo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

If I run "yum install glite-VOBOX" I get lcg-infosites 2.6.2-1. However, if I get "yum update" later, I get lcg-infosites 2.6.8-2. Shouldn't I get the most up to date version from the beginning? Is this the expected behaviour?

Your example is somewhat oversimplified. There are a few dozen things
which come into play when you're looking at this. If they are
different architecture packages, and one has exactarch enabled, a
newer package may be ignored if it doesn't match. The packages could
have an epoch value set which makes the older one newer (nasty RPM
trick). Certain yum plugins could be affecting the results also, such
as priorities or protectbase.

Your best bet is to run your yum command with debugging output so that
we (and you) can see exactly what is going on. Add '-d6' to your yum
command to get all the debugging output you'll likely ever need. I'd
also recommend doing a 'yum clean metadata' or 'yum clean all' prior
to testing, so that you're sure you're getting fresh results.

As I can see it, possible reason is that glite-VOBOX is build with "Requires: lcg-infosites = 2.6.2-1" in it's spec file. In that case, Maria needs newer or recompiled version of glite-VOBOX that will either have "Requires: lcg-infosites >= 2.6.2-1" or "Requires: lcg-infosites = 2.6.8-2". Solution for now would be "yum update -x lcg-infosites" do prevent lcg-infosites from updating with the rest of the packages.