Re: YUM install [package.rpm] fails on Solaris, reports success

Joshua Burns <joshuaburns@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi,
>
> By "last", I meant the processing of %post in any given package. Currently we're just testing with a small number of packages, and %post always fails in each (some problem with the creation/manipulation of /var/local/tmp/rpm-tmp.number). We're not using %pre yet but I suspect this may also fail as a result of the same issue.

 You do realize that you will be part of a very small number of
people deploying rpms on Solaris, yes? For instance if you try to
install "normal" packages, you'll have to somehow make rpm be happy
about the deps. provided by Solaris itself (libc, mv, rm, etc).
 And, for instance, you are using the rpm package from RHEL-5 and a
yum+python that are significantly higher than those in RHEL-5 (and
python that is significantly lower than that in Fedora).

 I'm not saying it can't work, but I think to have a good chance of
success you'd want to have someone locally that has some understanding
of the internals of rpm+yum.

 It's not obvious why the scriplets success/failure would depend on
being run from the rpm/yum commands. Obviously they don't take exactly
the same code paths, but I'm still surprised.

> I understand that "success" is a subjective term, and that scriptlet failure may not be considered fatal. In this case, because we are dealing with packages across 3[+] platforms, some of the initial packages we are working on are [noarch] and mostly logic/configuration file manipulation, so if the script fails, nothing substantial remains other than the entry in the rpm db. I'm guessing "success/failure" is probably something that is reported by rpm-lib rather than declared by yum at any rate. I think for us, though, this issue is probably pretty significant in terms of the prognosis for the success of the project.

 Seth just meant that, from rpm's point of view, a package install has
still succeeded _if_ the %post has _failed_. Because for "normal"
packages that's the best thing to do.
 Also even with a pure RHEL-5 set of machines, managing configuration
data with packages is problematic at best. There are configuration
management systems that are designed to do that kind of thing.

--
James Antill -- james@xxxxxxx