Re: Can yum operate relative to a user-specified state?

I can not say for yum it self, but mrepo can for sure. You can setup any number of distributions and versions. And if you use rsync to update your yum repository, you will transfer all of the packages only once, and then just the new packages when they are available.

Phil Clayton wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have an isolated network of computers (i.e. behind a 'firewall' made of air so no access to the net) but would like to be able to use yum on the network. Simple enough - I have set up a yum server on this network. My issue is that I would like to avoid maintaining a full yum mirror. A full mirror would waste resources (time, disk space, net usage) because I would be downloading and transferring gigabytes of rpms that aren't actually required.

The solution I have in mind is to use yum on a different computer that is attached to the net to download the necessary packages and then transfer them. However, this computer won't have the same set up: it is i386, not x86_64; Fedora 10, not Fedora 11; has different packages installed.

So my question is: it is possible for yum or associated utils to operate relative to a package list and architecture that differs from what is actually installed on the system? (All documentation that I have read suggests that yum always takes the system's current state.)

Thanks,
Phil