Re: support for private repo on AWS S3

This is what I meant by AWS auth: http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AmazonS3/latest/index.html?RESTAuthentication.html

Does S3 support HTTP Basic authentication? I can't seem to find any refs to that. Are you assuming a web server between the yum client and S3? I'm looking to have the EC2 instance directly pull from a repo stored on S3. Maybe my google skills are broken :-)

I'm currently using the rightscale centos 5.2 ami.

thanks!

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 3:17 PM, James Antill <james-yum@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Jeff Enderwick <jeff.enderwick@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi all, I'm wanting to use yum to provision my AWS EC2 servers from within
> S3. I don't want to sign the URLs and make them public (some proprietary
> RPMs, bandwidth $s, etc).
> I see that yum can support HTTP Basic authentication.
>
> Has anyone found a way to get yum to work with AWS authentication for S3? Am
> I taking the wrong tack here?

 Basic auth. + SSL, is the traditional way to do it. If you have the
RHEL-5.4 yum (or want to play with pre-F12 releases of yum and
urlgrabber) you can also use client side x509 certs.

 I have no idea what AWS auth. for S3 is.

--
James Antill -- james@xxxxxxx