Re: yum check-update performance slow

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009, Mike McIntyre wrote:

Thanks Seth and James for your responses.  Novell does not provide a newer release of yum and  yum-metadata-parser on
SLES 10 zlinux s390x.  I'll try to get the prerequisite rpms needed and perform rpmbuild --rebuild on the latest yum
release source rpm first on SLES 10 zlinux s390x before trying rpmbuild for yum-metadata-parser.  I am assuming that I do
not need yum-metadata-parser installed on the client if I can successfully rpmbuild yum-3.2.23-0.src.rpm and install
yum-3.2.23-0.  Correct me if I am wrong about this assumption.

if the repo side is not generating the sqlite itself (createrepo -d) then you will require yum-metadata-parser on the client so it can rapidly convert the xml to sqlite for yum's use.

you can save everyone a lot of time by making the sqlite dbs on the repo side.

-sv