Re: Tunneling yum connections through ssh's SOCKS proxy.

Daniel Fishman wrote:
Hello everybody,

My machine (A) is located on a lan behind a firewall, and the only way outside is ssh. I have another machine (B) outside the lan. B has ssh server, and I can ssh from A to B.

In order to be able to perform software updates with yum I set up ssl tunnel from A to B using dynamic port forwarding, that is: I ssh from A to B, and ssh client on A serves as SOCKS proxy. In addition, SOCKS client wrapper is installed on A (I use dante's
socksify).

The mentioned SOCKS proxy works properly, for example I can use the web.
But when I try to use yum (running 'socksify yum update', for example), it fails to ran properly. I see (using ssh's escape characters) that ssh forwards yum's connections, but yum tells that either network is unreachable or that connection timed out.

I'm not sure why yum wouldn't work over socks, but I usually do this with a squid proxy on the open box and port-forward ftp/http proxy connections:

ssh -R3128:localhost:3128 firewalled_host (or reverse with -L if the connection goes the other way).
...login
http_proxy=http://localhost:3128 ftp_proxy=http://localhost:3128 yum update
and you get whatever caching squid can manage for multiple runs, although mirrorlists usually screw it up.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx