Re: yum performance

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, Dimitrios Apostolou wrote:

Profiling after my changes seems that now the major slowdown is simplePkgList()@rpmsack.py so it's worth concentrating the effort there.

I dug a little deeper on this one and am now certain that most CPU time is needed inside the dbMatch() iterator. Unfortunately this is as far as I can go since the whole rpm-python module is implemented in C. Nevertheless I'm wondering, why does a simple listing of ~2K packages needs about 5 seconds. What format is the rpm database in? Wasn't there a big format change recently that improved the performance? Isn't "rpm -qa" the same as iterating over dbMatch() with no parameters? If so why there is so big difference:

$ time python yum/rpmsack.py >/dev/null

real	0m5.481s
user	0m3.568s
sys	0m1.222s

$ time rpm -qa > /dev/null

real	0m27.155s
user	0m22.924s
sys	0m1.506s

Thanks in advance,
Dimitris

P.S. In my previous email I forgot to mention that the usage of share_data()@misc.py is a slowdown since it is called many thousands times. Since it doesn't seem to provide an important memory advantage and it perplexes the code a lot, I have removed it wherever my patch applies. Indeed this saves some seconds of CPU time.