Re: yum access ftp repos without a proxy, http with proxy

Les Mikesell wrote:
Gene Smith wrote:
I have a new situation at work were the proxy server refuses to allow *.rpm files to be downloaded because they are "streaming media". However, direct connect to the internet is allowed (bypassing the proxy) only when ftp is used. So I can set firefox to use the proxy only for http and do direct connect with ftp. This allows rpm files to be downloaded in firefox if they are on ftp servers.

However, I don't know the correct method to configure yum to do the same thing. There is "proxy" setting that I have set in yum.conf. It appears to cause both http and ftp to use the proxy. Is there a way to tell yum to use the proxy only for http access and to use no proxy when ftp connection is attempted?

It observes the standard environment settings if you don't set a proxy in the config file:
export http_proxy=http://your.proxy:port
export ftp_proxy=http://your.proxy:port (if it is squid and can proxy ftp through http)
or omit the ftp_proxy setting to go direct.

OK. I only have http_proxy set and it seems to work in yum for http access (retrieves the mirror list). So I guess I really don't need
proxy=...
again in yum.conf.

I see a possibility of setting
proxy=_none_

Yes, don't need this

which could be placed right before baseurl=ftp://.... if a list of explicit urls are used, or maybe after mirrorlist=http://... if a list of mirrors is requested. (http connections require the proxy.)

I don't have a way to test this now since my current distro (fedora 8) seems to only be archived on 3 http servers and not on ftp.

Actually, this is wrong. There are ftp servers out there for f8.

When I go to http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/8/
it shows two ftp sites listed although my mirrorlist url set in yum.conf only returns http sites and in US:
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-8&arch=i386

# repo = fedora-8 arch = i386 country = US
http://archive.kernel.org/fedora-archive/fedora/linux/releases/8/Everything/i386/os/
http://kdeforge.unl.edu/mirrors/fedora-archive/fedora/linux/releases/8/Everything/i386/os/
http://archive.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/releases/8/Everything/i386/os/

But there is actually good ftp site here:
ftp://archive.kernel.org/fedora-archive/fedora/linux/releases/8/Everything/i386/os/
and another in Germany that aren't show at my mirrorlist url.

So if I get rid of the my mirrorlist and adapt the above ftp url as a baseurl it works with yum using direct connect ftp.

So I guess the new question is: how do you I set a mirrorlist url to also return ftp sites and not just http? And how do I ask for sites in all countries having ftp sites be returned, not just US?

(I can use an external socks server with ssh -D option to download f8 rpms via http using firefox but yum does not support socks connections from what I understand.)

Can you get to an external http proxy via ssh port-forwarding?

ssh -L:port:remote_address:port  -l login remotehost
Then in another window while the ssh connection is up:
 export http_proxy=http://localhost:port
 yum update

I could if such a site exists. But I don't have one or know of one. But since FTP is basically working, I think I am OK. I see that f-11 mirrrolist url does return a mixture of ftp and http sites, but mostly http. So if I upgrade to it I should be able to get updates.