Re: RPM python subroutine for (epoch, version, release) comparation?

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009, Robinson Tiemuqinke wrote:

Hi, all,

 On Centos 5 I am programming RPM with python recently.  When I read the online RPM python programming guide at
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/drafts/rpm-guide-en/ch16s05.html, I got confused at the EVR() function as the function
returns the (epoch, version, release) as a string “%epoch-%version-%release”, and so the RPM  comparing process is
simplified as string comparing – which doesn’t look correct, am I wrong? See the code from the page:

1. EVR() is not going to give you something which is usefully comparable for sorting by e-v-r of the pkg. It's just going to give you something useful for doing string comparisons on.

2. You can use rpm.versionCompare() or rpm.labelCompare() - labelCompare takes the e,v,r as strings.

3. you could look at how rpmUtils (comes in yum) or yum itself handles a bunch of these items.

-sv