Re: Maintaining my own copy of UPDATES

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009, Les Mikesell wrote:

Seth Vidal wrote:

 reposync is the normal way to do it. Also you might want to look at:

http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/YumMultipleMachineCaching

None of which are particularly desirable. There has to be some clever way to make yum work reasonably with a standard caching proxy in spite of the effort mirrorlists make to defeat their usefulness.

Don't use the mirrorlist, then.

Or setup Intelligent Mirror.

The reason I use a package manager is to _reduce_ the amount of individual machine * site * disto specific twiddling that has to be done.

I'd like to be able to have something reasonable happen with distributions as they are shipped and third party repos that have their yum config packaged in RPMs without having to second-guess them. I don't mind passing location-specific proxies in the environment since that can be easily done in loop of ssh commands across all the targets - but the proxy doesn't help much until it has a copy of the same file from each of the mirrors. Can't yum try the mirrorlist in the same order when it sees a proxy setting in the environment or the configuration? Or have a command line option to specify that you don't want it to go out if it's way to defeat your cache? Also, could we have an option to tell it to skip any ftp:// urls when you know the only way out is a proxy that won't handle them?

<SARCASM>
send me the ip ranges you use, I'll add some code to yum to magically work for you if it determines it is coming from one of those ips.

</SARCASM>

-sv