Re: preupgrade locked up, we rebooted, ran preupgrade again and it succeeded but many dup pkgs now in rpmdb

James Antill wrote:
Gerry Reno <greno@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

James Antill wrote:

Gerry Reno <greno@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

We ran preupgrade (F9=>F10) on one machine and it locked up about 80%
through the anaconda package install.  So we rebooted the machine and
it came back up, we logged in and ran preupgrade again and this time
it succeeded.  But now we notice there are a huge number of packages
in the rpmdb from the old release.  How can we clear these out of this
machine?

 package-cleanup --dupes

Ok, we ran package-cleanup --dupes and the --cleandupes. It didn't
really show you what it was doing but after a while the prompt came
back and when we ran --dupes again there were no packages listed. But
now we notice something else. For example the yum 3.2.21 package is
showing the fc9 version. And when you do 'yum list yum' it only shows
you the fc9 installed version. But I know there is a version in fc10
and it should have shown that as available. Also the rpmdb shows 753
fc10 and 283 fc9 for packages by release. But yet 'yum update' shows
no packages available for update.

 This sounds like one of /var/cache/updates or /var/cache/fedora
actually has the fc9 metadata cached. You could try:

 "yum clean expire-cache"

...or just "clean all". I'd also make sure that you've moved from the
fc9 "newkey" repos. back to the normal ones.

Ok, did that and now I see 357 updates available which seems right.  Thanks.

Regards,
Gerry