Re: Can yum show a listing of just the locally installed packages?

Nifty nifty.hat Mitch wrote:
On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 04:26:19PM -0400, Gerry Reno wrote:

Seth Vidal wrote:

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009, Gerry Reno wrote:

Yeah, I was afraid that was the case. I'd tried about everything in
the man page.

Suggestion: What would be great from the standpoint of yum metadata
is if we could query yum and have it tell us what repository
delivered each package. Something like:

# yum list installed

yum-versionlock.noarch 1.1.11-1.fc7 installed local

As of this time there is no place to store the information of where a
package came from.

We need such metadata in yum though. Maybe this 'place' could be added
in the newer versions?

 Gerry

How important is this?

If you run "rpm -qia| less " you will see a lot in the 'Packager',
'Signature' and 'Build Host' fields that can let you infer much about
where a package came from.  It does not tell you what repo (think mirror
site) it was pulled from.  It does not tell you if it came from 'test' and
never was moved to 'released' unless it was resigned.  At some sites that
collect packages into a local repo it could be difficult to know if the
package was site tested and site approved and such unless it was resigned.

It can sort out some largish piles that might be interesting.

I think it's very important.  I want to know where the packages originated.  What repo, or were they locally installed.  Yum has access to all this metadata and yet it's never stored.  Yes, you can pull some info from rpm -q but it's not always obvious from joe@xxxxxxxxx what repo delivered the package.  Yum has the information, it just needs to store it so we can use it.  As I said in a prior posting, yum should show us the repo in the listings.  That way if we have a package by the same name in two different repos I know which repo our package came from.

Regards,
Gerry