Re: A question.....

yum-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
   1. Re: A question..... (David Timms)

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 23:45:22 +1100
From: David Timms <dtimms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  A question.....
To: "Yellowdog Updater, Modified" <yum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

DB wrote:
Hi All,

I read on Fedora lists that installing 3rd party software without using yum causes or may cause problems.
- it means that it is no longer easy to track what is installed via rpm, and be offerred updates via yum. - you could install an rpm that isn't in a yum repo via rpm or yum (localinstall), and it will be tracked. if it wasn't built for Fedora, then you might have trouble finding compatible required packages, etc - most untar|configure|make|make install methods install the app into /usr/local/... This means that the files wouldn't directly overwrite rpm managed files, however, you then need to consider things like path ordering so that the items the make install into local are used with the way that it was ma(d)e.

If I install apackage with yum, and the producers offer a plugin as .tar.gz , can I get yum to handle the installation?
Yes, of the package. No of the plugin, unless someone/you are willing to package the plugin as an rpm. How would you like to do your little bit for the Fedora community by becoming a packager ?
???? Do I get an issue of brown ppaper & string ? ;-)) As my knowledge at the moment is exceeeeeedingly basic, I have no idea what would be involved, whether I have enough time, whether my skill level would be appropriate.... but tell me more (direct email?)
However, the plugin from a tar will work, at least for the version it was written for. Catch: a new release is offered through yum, and you get the app updated, but not the plugins, leaving them inoperable.

Similarly, if an app is not available in a Fedora-recognnised repo, is there a way to install it with yum?
Yes, either via rpm or yum as above.

Also, assuming I've broken all the rules and installed something by following the make files in a tar.gz, is there a way to tell yum that the app exists????
No. Instead, package the file as an rpm by writing a .spec file and rpmbuilding that. install the package using rpm. (or yum). Basic packaging is pretty easy - many examples to choose from, and a lot of experienced Fedora packagers around who are willing to help.
I presume (dangerous, I know) that any such rpm would then be stored locally?
DaveT.

Thanks DaveT, I'll take a look at the rpm building bit... Do you have a link to an Idiot's Guide??

Dave