Bandwidth control?

Hi, I just popped up to Fedora 9 (I know, 10 is next week, but I didn't
want to go straight from 8 to 10) and am fleshing out the package list
with this and that.  I have to do this at home, where my wife is also
working on her bandwidth-hungry EMR.  Is there any way to "throttle
down" the bandwidth consumed by yum to a not-more-than-X, so that
neither of us is starved when the other is working?  This would also be
useful on that first yum update.

Speaking of which, I thought that the plan was for Fedora to start using
the updated rpms to do the first round install so that it didn't HAVE to
do a huge update right after the installation, but that didn't happen
with 9.  Will it happen with 10?  (I know this isn't a fedora-only list,
but I also know that yum is supposedly the basis for future fedora
installs, in part to avoid this pointless double-suck of bandwidth and
time).

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb@xxxxxxxxxxxx