Re: Re: Horrible response to keyboardInterrupt

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 04:32:28AM -0700, CAI Qian wrote:

> --- "Mihai T. Lazarescu" <mtlagm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > One of the most recurring answers for those that dislike the
> > free (as in no cost and as free will) maintainers of open
> > source packages is: wait or do it yourself or hire someone to
> > do it for you.  And I think this is a fair answer.  It's value
> > added to let know of bugs but it's of no use to ask they be
> > fixed according to your agenda.
>
> There is no agenda. I want to let developers aware of that it is a
> painful problem for users like me. Maybe because I was a Debian user
> before. I have experienced the efficient with CTRL-C in APT and the
> important to be able to abandon operations when the number of available
> packages have been increased a lot.

I think now everybody on the list is quite aware of the problem.

You should also consider that, even though there may be yum
users and skilled programmers on the list, no one seems to
agree with the urge to divert resources to fix it.

> > The Ctrl-C issue of yum was worse, gradually improving
> > over time.  At any moment I was a lot more more interested
> > in seeing yum getting faster, stable, and feature rich rather
> > than to nit pick on secondary, easy work-around shortcomings.
> > I believe this way me and the community as a whole benefit most
> > from the yum developers volunteered knowledge, time, and effort.
>
> It depends. If developers care about usability, it should not be the
> secondary. Use kill(1) to work around the problem is not an acceptable
> option from the usability point of view.

Regardless the long standing "usability" issue, yum seemed to
gather momentum all this time among users and distributions
alike.

Mihai