Re: Platform identification for updates hosted on YUM repo...

On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 07:27 -0600, Jinu Mathew Joy wrote:

> <jinu>
> We are basically developing a replication utility that basically
> brings down updates from the YUM repository into our System
> Management solution. This replication utility needs to be aware
> of what updates it can get from a given YUM repo URL.
>
> Instead of the user specifying the platform for which a given
> YUM URL is providing the updates / packages. It would be
> good if we could get the detail from the repo itself, because
> it knows best if the update it is hosting is for sles-10 or a fedora
> platform.
> </jinu>

Jinu,
 1. A couple of things. There's a yum-util called reposync which can
sync-down a yum repository or a set of repositories pretty easily.
 2. The only thing I can think of for marking a repository as for a
specific distro is adding some tag to the repomd.xml and then checking
it from somewhere.

But I'm still a bit unsure of the utility of marking a repo for a
specific distro. I'll bring up adding an extension like this in the
repomd.xml.

-sv