i386 packages overwrite 64bit ones

Hello *,

Suppose that we have a software that exists in the repository
in both the 32 and 64 bit version(i386 & x86_64). Also suppose that the
machine in which we are installing the software is a 64bit installation.

Yum should -normally- install first the 32bit package and then the 64bit version
of the software, as I have read in a redhat document:
"...For compiled programs—but not for libraries—the 64-bit version is installed and the 32-bit version is discarded...".

The problem is that this does not always happen that way.
Some times - for an unknown reason- the 32bit packages are
installed after their respective  64 bit ones.

If the package is a library the /usr/lib64 is used for the 64bit packages.
BUT: When the  software contains binary executable
files that are installed in /usr/bin, the 32bit executables overwrite the 64bit ones,
ans this must not happen for various reasons.

Now, I have some questions:
1. How yum knows that a package is a compiled program or a library?
2. Also, why would yum behave that way on those circumstances?
3. Does a repository affect the way that yum behaves, concerning the architecture issues?

Any pointers would be appreciated!

thanks a lot!
--
Asterios Katsifodimos