Yum(ex) cleaned my system

/Good evening (at least it is in Austria!)

I'm new to Linux & Fedora, last messed with Unix in about '89...

I've (eventually) installed F9, with a selection of odds & ends, and
found that yumex SEEMED to be a better way of updating & installing than
the Gnome Add/Remove Software.  My problem comes when I try to remove
"something" (e.g. CUPS) when yumex seems to consider every application
that uses or links to CUPS as being a dependency.  In my naive, trusting
way (!), I assumed the 223 listed dependencies were sort of .dlls which
CUPS had added to everything that needed to print.  Oh, how wrong can
you be????? 223 deleted apps later & I had a bare bones system - even
yumex was gone! & most of Gnome!

SO, after a day & half fiddling, I got back to a working system again
(95%).  I posted the situation on FedoraForum & was advised to bring it
to the attention of "Them what looks after Yum",  but I can't find out
how to contact the yum team.

Any suggestions on how one contacts the yum team???

Thanks

Dave/

Good evening Yum-Team

As I now have an address, please find above the note I put on the Fedora
list.

I don't expect you to be able to resurrect my system, nor to prevent me
chucking out the baby with the bath-water again in the future!

What I would like to do is to ask whether some sort of indication could
be made in yum(ex) to show that a package like Cups has a special status
& cannot be (safely) removed?  I had a similar experience when (3 days
after getting my first F9 working), I tried to remove not-needed dial-up
packages & ended up with no Network Manager.

It seems to me that sometimes the definition of "dependency" is not
clear & unique.  In my vocabulary, a dependency is something which must
be present in order for something else to function; a relationship like
Cups-Firefox I would consider more a master-service relationship where
either master or service can be removed without destroying the other.

Thanks for all the work you do keeping systems available and at such a
high standard

Dave