Re: Variables in Yum repo files

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008, Grant McWilliams wrote:

I've been using SmartPM for some time on CentOS machines and in the SmartPM mailing list we have a conversation
that's not hot but a bit
warm about whether we should add support for variable names in the Smart config file.  It really come down to
"That's the way Yum does it so
we should do it too" on one side to "not all decisions are smart ones" on the opposing side.

So I'm here to find out what the advantage of having a line like this

baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/centosplus/$basearch/

As apposed to having it like this.

baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/centosplus/i386/

it means you can have one config file for all arches. Which, for a long time, was a big deal in the fedora/red hat world. fedora-release and redhat-release are noarch pkgs.

and just update the file (/etc/yum.repos.d/repofile.repo) if the repository or the version/arch changes?

you can't always update those files. They're %config(noreplace). So the user/admin can update them but the distro cannot. - well not w/any confidence.

This isn't flame bait as I'm arguing the side of having variables but others have put up a really good defense on
the "They're not necessary" side
of things.

We use them all the time for simplicity of expanding out for other arches too.

you can use the same config for i386 and x86_64 today and if you add ia64 or ppc tomorrow they'll still work, you just add the dir on the repo side.

So I'm asking how are these set and does YUM use them just because that's the way it's always done it or is there
a really strong case for them?

the above is how they are used.

They are set internal to config.py in yum. look at:
rpmUtils/arch.py in yum's source at how basearch/arch is determined.

The mechanism for determining arch is not native to yum - it comes up from anaconda/rpm originally and some of it is god-awful-ugly. But it is what it is.

Hope this helps.

-sv