Installing yum/createrepo to private dir on Ubuntu

I am starting to maintain a collection of yum repositories on an
Ubuntu machine.  (Most of our workstations are Red Hat-ish, hence yum.
 I like Debian and Ubuntu, so that's what the server is running.)  So
I figured I would need a "private" copy of a recent version of
createrepo somewhere near the repositories.  (By "private" I just mean
"not in /usr/bin", not "nobody else can run it".)

(Incidentally, an old version of createrepo, 0.4.6, is packaged for my
Ubuntu version (feisty, 7.04), I *could* just "apt-get install
createrepo".  But that's so ... so ... uninteresting.  Easy, even.
And I'm hoping more recent versions are faster.)

I have had a number of problems getting this working.  Some are
cultural, like I expect a README file to tell me what other packages
are required to get this package working.  I just figured out "look in
the spec file, stupid", and indeed, there they are.  I would suggest
adding a sentence to both yum and createrepo's README files along the
lines of "look in the spec file, stupid".  Will happily provide
patches.

(On reflection, I think it would be nice to have more details in the
README: when someone is building from source, they are more likely to
have to go dig up sources for required packages.  For example, yum
imports gpgme with no explanation -- apart from a "Requires" line in
the spec file -- of what gpgme is or how I satisfy that dependency.  I
had to boot up a vmware of an FC7 machine, run "yum install pygpgme",
and follow the URL in the installed package.  Ouch!  It would have
been much easier if the URL had been in yum's README in the first
place.  Or INSTALL, whatever.)

Also, I don't understand why createrepo needs 400+ lines of make in
four Makefiles.  I just wrote a 6-line setup.py that does 80% of what
"make install" does, and I think I could add the remaining 20% pretty
easily.  Is there a reason yum and createrepo use make instead of
distutils?  If not, I'll happily provide setup scripts too.

Anyways.  I am getting closer, but have not pulled it off yet.  Let me
know if you want those patches.  And remind me to write up how I pull
this off, if in fact I do.  ;-)

Greg