Re: Local repository hanging kernel

On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 06:15 +0100, Nicholas Robinson wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've created a local respository (using instructions from the Howtoforge
> site). It gets rsync'd regularly and is fine for ad hoc installs and updates.
>
> Unfortunately, if I do a yum upgrade on a workstation after,  say, a Fedora 8
> install from original dvd, then it often hangs the kernel on the server. It's
> happened at least 10 times and always during or shortly after the workstation
> upgrade - if I don't yum upgrade then the server seems willing to stay up.
> Although I've only recently upgraded to Fedora 8 on the server, it has been
> running FC4 without a single crash for three plus years. There's nothing in
> any apache or system log to indicate what has happened and the console screen
> goes blank. There's no ping, ssh or http access and so the server needs a
> power cycle.
>
> Presumably, this is something to do with the frequency of requests or
> bandwidth demands and I realise that it is not yum directly, but thought that
> a post here might be the best place to get a specific fix or advice.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give.

The best advice is to consult the kernel bugs filed against fedora8
related to your specific hardware type.

if a client (of any type) can crash a server it is solely a problem on
the server. If access to the apache server can trigger a kernel freeze
then the problem is most likely at the hw or kernel level.

Go to fedora bugzilla and check for bugs related to it, that'll be where
your answer lies.

good luck,
-sv