Re: Fwd: yum rollback !!

well Fajar, i didnt quite understand your point, how is storage related to the roll back functionality , ... ?
can u explain a bit , or refer some resources from where i can understand this ?

Thanks
Satish

On 4/1/08, Fajar A. Nugraha <fajar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Satish Eerpini wrote:
> hi Fajar
> yes , i actually didn't know that , but what if we make use of the
> system file database
I'm not sure what you mean by "system file database".

> to trace back all the file changes that happened
> after the rollback date and then trace back these files to RPM
> packages using the databases in the repositiories, ...that would be
> fast and a more correct way of doing it ??
> what say ?

An easier method would be to use some kind of versioning on storage level.
For example :

- Using Linux on top of LVM with LVM snapshot feature (I haven't test it
much)
- Using Linux on top of SAN storage with flash-copy/snapshot capability
- Using Linux on top of iscsi-exported zfs emulated volume
- Using Linux (kernel 2.4) on top of solaris brandZ zone, running on zfs

That way the storage will handle snapshot and rollback, not yum.

Regards,

Fajar