Re: yum does not work any more (Philipp Walderdorff)

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 1:31 PM, Philipp Walderdorff
<ph.walderdorff@xxxxxx> wrote:

>  Yes, this sounds well:
>
>  I had updated Python on a Fedora Core 3
>  to Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Oct 23 2007, 13:37:11)

Fedora Core 3 is LONG unsupported. Perhaps a distribution with similar
software which is still supported would be a better option. Something
like CentOS4 may suit you rather well for familiarity, although this
also lacks a newer (2.5.x) python. Mostly, your version of yum is
looking at the python install it was not built for, so you'll have to
make some changes here. As there are no longer updates for
insecurities in your system however, I'd say that's the least of your
problems.

>  [erwin@philipp ~]$ python
>  Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Oct 23 2007, 13:37:11)

See, this is really the key to your issue. The system default python
(2.3.x) isn't the pythong that responds. Most folks in this situation
put python elsewhere (/opt) and/or name the binary something different
(/usr/local/bin/python25) and call it accordingly.

Still, I'd look into a distro which is getting updates. Fedora
8/9/whatever's current this week, or CentOS.

*Disclaimer: There are rumors linking me in some unknown fashion to
the CentOS project, so my opinion may be somewhat biased here :-P

George Orwell