Fedora 8 phantom yum repositories?

Upon installing Fedora 8 on a few machines, I set up HTTP access
to local yum repositories, replacing an NFS (read-only) setup
because the newer yum versions wanted to write to
/var/lib/yum. Everything appears to be working with respect to
package install, etc. but I do get a bunch of "Repository X is
listed more than once in the configuration" messages whenever yum
is run.

I've tried to track this down, presuming first there were
duplicate repo entries in the various files, but it turns out
that each repo is listed exactly once. Furthermore, even when I
delete all repo files and clean the cache, yum still somehow
retains knowledge of the deleted info:

localhost# yum clean all
Cleaning up Everything
localhost# rm -rf /etc/yum.repos.d/*
localhost# yum update
fedora                    100% |=========================| 2.1 kB    00:00
primary.sqlite.bz2        100% |=========================| 4.9 MB    00:01
file:///var/lib/yum/livna/fedora/8/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 5]
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/var/lib/yum/livna/fedora/8/i386/repodata/repomd.xml'
Trying other mirror.
livna                     100% |=========================| 2.1 kB    00:00
primary.sqlite.bz2        100% |=========================| 177 kB    00:00
updates                   100% |=========================| 2.3 kB    00:00
primary.sqlite.bz2        100% |=========================| 1.1 MB    00:00
Setting up Update Process
No Packages marked for Update

Where's yum getting the info on fedora, livna and updates repos?
The request for a file:// URL in the case of livna even predates
the migration to HTTP access.  There are no files in
/etc/yum.repos.d:

localhost# ls -l /etc/yum.repos.d
total 0

and there are no repos listed in the /etc/yum.conf:

localhost# cat /etc/yum.conf
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
keepcache=0
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
exactarch=1
obsoletes=1
gpgcheck=1
plugins=1
metadata_expire=1800
installonly_limit=2

# PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
# in /etc/yum.repos.d

This is version 3.2.8, from rpm -qi:
Name        : yum                          Relocations: (not  relocatable)
Version     : 3.2.8                             Vendor: Fedora Project
Release : 2.fc8 Build Date: Wed 05 Dec 2007 05:26:32 PM EST

Perhaps something I've overlooked? Any suggestions appreciated.

Damon Hart