Re: installroot question

*sigh*  silly top-poster.

On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 08:06:29PM -0700, Curtis Higgins alleged:
> My ultimate goal would be to have the nfs mount self contained.  If all the

You can't.  Truely self-contained is an entire OS that may or may not be
compatible with your existing OS.  You have to draw that arbitrary line
somewhere.  Do you duplicate libs that are already installed in /usr/lib or
/lib?  What about PAM config files, nsswitch.conf, etc?  Does glibc get rebuilt
into your NFS share?

> libiries and dependencies need to be installed in /usr/local, then that is
> fine with me.  I'm not doing this for any reason other than to learn how to
> do it.  At some point I'd envision using this set up in an academic setting
> with many computers.

This only works with a standardized OS, which means you have control over the
bits that are installed locally, which also means you don't need actually need
a self-contained mini-OS.

> Would rpm source files be an option?  Can yum resolve the dependincies on
> rpm source files?  And, can you modify where the rpm scource files install
> to, and use yum to handle all the other stuff?  I was thinking of writing a
> wrapper script that I can use to get everything self contained on the nfs
> mount.

yum is useless here because it is designed for an entirely different purpose.

You could, in theory, rebuild srpms with "--define '_prefix /usr/local'", but I
wouldn't hazard a guess on the actual long-term success of that direction.

> Also, what steps would I need to go through to either move, or copy a
> program from one location to another.  ie Copy the bin, then the libiries,
> then ???

Down that road lies madness.  It is a tangled mess of evil LD_LIBRARY_PATH vars
and goofy scripts.