Re: installroot question

OK, so it depends on the package rather than the package manager.  Is there a way to modify, or handle packages in a way that will let me specify where they are installed?

Thanks

On Dec 16, 2007 7:39 PM, Jim Perrin < jperrin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Dec 16, 2007 8:30 PM, Curtis Higgins < higgincc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'd like to use yum to install some programs to /usr/local rather than /usr.

This depends on if the packages were built in such a way as to be
relocatable, and/or where they place files on the system.

> It seems to me that I would need to use the command:
> yum installroot=/usr/local install xmms

Not really. This will treat /usr/local/ as the base directory, (for
example creating a chroot) so you'd end up with /usr/local/usr/bin/foo
etc.

George Orwell