how to handle package name conflicts?

Greets all.

I'm using yum on Fedora 8. I have installed openoffice.org rpms from both Fedora and OpenOffice.org (OO.org). I need both for testing and other support tasks.

The rpms from the two sources install to completely different locations (OO.org rpms under /opt) and there are no file conflicts. However, some of the package names are the same.

When updated Fedora openoffice.org packages are available, and I run 'yum update', the update process removes both the old Fedora openoffice.org rpms, and also the OO.org openoffice.org rpms where the package names match. Obviously, this breaks the OO.org installation and I have to re-install.

When a Fedora update appeared just now, I tried to avoid having yum remove the OO.org packages by first removing all the Fedora openoffice rpms, then running "yum install ...". No soup. Yum still removed the OO.org packages.

E.g. I started with these installed:
openoffice.org-calc-2.3.0-6.6.fc8
openoffice.org-calc-2.3.1-9238

I removed the fc8 package manually, but after the "yum install" to get the new Fedora packages, I had left only:

openoffice.org-calc-2.3.0-6.7.fc8

Not only has yum removed packages from two different versions, but it removed a /newer/ version (2.3.1) than the one that it installed (2.3.0).

Is there some way I can prevent yum from removing the OO.org packages?

Granted, this is an unusual situation, and that it could be solved by changing the package names (like I could ever get that to happen!), but even beyond all that, it seems incorrect to me
a) that yum should remove anything when performing an install,
b) that yum should remove all installed packages with the same name, even if they are not the packages being updated, and c) that yum should introduce a restriction that is not present when using rpm alone.

Rpm does not have a problem with installing multiple versions of the same-named package (as long as there are no file conflicts), and the current behavior makes it impossible for yum to manage installations with multiple versions of the same package.

Any clues to share?

<Joe