Re: Splitting repo config over multiple files

Michael Chapman wrote:
A recent change to the config parsing in yum has broken the particular way in which I configure my package repositories. It looks like it's no longer possible to split the configuration for a single repository across multiple .repo files.

Sure, this wasn't exactly a documented "feature", but I had found it very useful. In particular, I had used it to configure the "protectbase" plugin to protect the repos for my distro, Fedora. Rather than adding "protect=1" to each section in the fedora*.repo files (which would mean they wouldn't update properly when fedora-release got updated), I had added all the extra config into a separate protect.repo file:

  [fedora]
  protect=1

  [updates]
  protect=1

  [development]
  protect=1

  ...etc...

This worked fine up to yum-3.2.3. From yum-3.2.4 onwards, I get "Repository '...' is listed more than once" and "Repository '...' is missing name" errors.

I'm pretty sure it was the patch to use iniparse that broke it (http://devel.linux.duke.edu/gitweb/?p=yum.git;a=commitdiff;h=23f0fe4). Using a separate ConfigParser object for each file means that it has no chance to merge sections with the same name.

Is this "feature" -- even if it is undocumented -- something that yum should allow?

- Michael
This sound a little strange to me, i don't think having repo sections split over multiple files is a good idea, it will brake all kind of repo configuration tools there want to write back changes to the file system. if you want to maintain this kind of special configuration in a separate file, it could be done by a plugin there read the configs from a file and add them to repositories.

Tim