RE: Come on! Removing 182 RPMs for hal?

Jeff,

I think Wayne realizes that it's the direct and indirect dependencies on hal
that cause yum to want to remove so many packages when an attempt is made to
remove hal.

I believe his question was at a higher level than that, in particular, why
do so many things depend on hal?

I've heard it said, although I can't claim to have done any research of my
own to verify, that Fedora is pretty liberal about dependencies, and that
there are other distributions out there with markedly fewer of them.

I think the issue of reducing dependencies is significant when you are
trying to build distributions that can run in a very small footprint, but I
don't think that's Fedora's goal.  It's goal, rather, is to be a
distribution that is easy for novice users to install and use, and for such
a distribution, it makes sense to be liberal with dependencies to ensure
that the things people need are there when they need them.

As for removing a package like hal from a Fedora installation, don't bother;
just turn it off.

  Jik