Re: My problem is not removing it is keeping

Larry C Robinson wrote:
> To me it seems that yum will not remove a particular package without
> removing most of the packages.  I can try to remove; for instance
> dmraid, but it will remove most of my GUI.
I assume you're using Redhat/Fedora?
> I know of a way with rpm to remove just that package but, I would like
> some of the other packages to go with it. It seems we are caught
> between the rpm way and learn what each package does and to what or,
> the yum way and have all removed with no choices.  Yes they all have
> these links but, I know some, or most, can survive on the system very
> well without that other one.  If Linux is about choice then give us
> back more choice.
Your choice is to use another distro.
Redhat makes some packages (including kernel and gnome-session) depend
on dmraid.
Opensuse does not.

You do realize that you can always modify any package you don't like, or
even create your own distro, don't you? In my case I don't like the way
/sbin/weak-modules work. So I just change it to work the way I want to
by creating my own module-init-tools.

Regards,

Fajar