yum repository issues

I have been given the task of keeping our yum repository updated because we
have lost the 2 employees that used to manage this, and I have a few
questions in hopes that you all can help out.
We have approximately 200 Linux servers all running either RedHat 2.1, 3.0,
or 4.0 with different levels of updates.
Our repository server is currently running Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES
release 3 (Taroon Update 7).
Previous employee had a script that ran once a month to see if there were
any updates for ANY of the versions of RedHat we run and stored it into our
repository.
In looking at the script, it is running the /usr/sbin/up2date command, but
passing the parameters to look for all the different version.

It looks like the script is only pulling the updates for the ES3 updates,
and not pulling it down for the other versions.  Now when I run a yum
update on a RH4 machine it tells me there are no updates to install, which
I know to be incorrect, because I am currently on release 3 and the current
version is release 5.
Is yum supposed to be able to pull different versions of RH down to the
repository using the up2date command on a RH3 machine?  If so can you
please tell me or send me an example script on how this could work?
Can you tell me the url/ftp site the up2date goes to check for updates?

Any help would be appreciated.
Chris Keeney
Analyst Programmer
The Hertz Corporation
5601 NW Expressway
Oklahoma City, OK 73132, U.S.A
ckeeney@xxxxxxxxx
(405)280-5027

---------------
This message (including attachments) may contain information that is
privileged, confidential or protected from disclosure.  If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that dissemination,
disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this message or any
information contained in it is strictly prohibited.  If you have received
this message in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply
e-mail and delete this message from your computer.  Although we have taken
steps to ensure that this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus,
we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient
should ensure they are actually virus free.