Re: problems with yum on fc5

I solved the problem by installing python.

python-2.4.3-9.FC5.i386.rpm

On Apr 13, 2007, at 12:07 AM, Brian Kidd wrote:

I'm running fedora core 5 x86_64. The system was stable, but I hadn't done an update for a while so I decided to run an update and my system crashed about midway through the upgrade. Unfortunately, now I'm having major problems with yum not working at all. For example, when I type yum, I get:

There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

   dynamic module does not define init function (inittime)

Please install a package which provides this module, or
verify that the module is installed correctly.

It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
current version of Python, which is:
2.4.3 (#1, Jun 13 2006, 11:46:08)
[GCC 4.1.1 20060525 (Red Hat 4.1.1-1)]

If you cannot solve this problem yourself, please go to
the yum faq at:
  http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq

I've checked python and it's definitely a problem with importing the time module

python
>>> import yum
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 26, in ?
    import time
ImportError: dynamic module does not define init function (inittime)

I've also performed: rpmbuild --rebuild yum-2.6.1-0.fc5.src.rpm

I have the following versions of rpm, yum, and python currently on my machine.
RPM version 4.4.2
yum-2.6.1-0.fc5
python 2.4.3

I've looked around the web, but none of the other suggestions helped. Has anyone else had this problem and solved it?

Thanks,
-Brian